Crossroads of Rockland History: John Green House

2024-01 Crossroads Image-John Green House

Nyack's John Green House
This program originally aired on January 15, 2024. To listen, click here.

Clare Sheridan welcomed Winston C. Perry Jr., president of the John Green Preservation Coalition, who provided updates us on the progress of the preservation and restoration of the John Green House in Nyack.

The John Green House is the oldest remaining Dutch Colonial sandstone structure in the Village of Nyack. It was built by John Edward Green (1772–1842) in 1819. It is listed on both the New York State and National Registers of Historic Places and is a Village of Nyack Historic Landmark.

The coalition envisions a multiphase, multiyear project that will return the building to its beautiful appearance from the early 1800s, during which it served as business home for John Green, a sloop captain, lumber dealer, steamboat entrepreneur, church founder, and turnpike trustee. As the house is restored and made safe, it will be designed—both inside and out—to serve the community in exciting ways.

After a fifty-year career as an architect, Win Perry is devoting his time in retirement to local history and historic preservation. A lifetime resident of Nyack, he is a trustee of the Historical Society of the Nyacks, a former trustee of the Historical Society of Rockland County and member of the Rockland County Historic Preservation Board, and former Village Historian of Upper Nyack. A lifelong small-boat sailor on the Hudson, he is especially interested in Hudson River history.


If you can’t listen live, locally, on WRCR 1700AM, another great way to hear our program is to to download the TuneIn Radio app (Apple Store or the Google Android store) and then search for WRCR 1700. Using this app, one can listen on a handheld device, a smart speaker, or a computer. And as always, the broadcast will be available as a podcast later in the day on the HSRC website and on all major podcast platforms.

The Historical Society of Rockland County is a nonprofit educational institution and principal repository for original documents and artifacts relating to Rockland County. Its headquarters are a four-acre site featuring a history museum and the 1832 Jacob Blauvelt House in New City, New York.


Add a Comment:

Please signup or login to add a comment.