This Week in Rockland: Newspaper Excerpts: Flashback Friday: Week of July 23

2021-07-23 TWIR Image-Van Wagner

July 22, 1871– 150 YEARS AGO
Rockland County Journal

     On Tuesday, John Miller, a Teuton from Rockland Lake, visited Haverstraw with a venerable gray horse worth, perhaps, about $10. He hitched his steed to a post in front of the United States Hotel, and after taking zwei lager, went down to the steamboat wharf. While he was gone some of the thirsty boys in the bar-room offered the horse for sale; a Dutch farmer who happened to be passing purchased the animal, and was to pay $5 in cash and treat the company. He paid for the drinks, but not the five dollars, and mounting the marvel of equine longevity, crawled away. When the Dutchman returned, he missed his horse and stepped into the hotel to inquire in relation to it. At this time the only persons in the bar-room were the bartender and ex-Mayor De Noyelles, who was just taking a drink. The Dutchman muttered, “py tam I makes law mit somepody,” and started for home. Later in the day he appeared before Justice Henry Smith, of Rockland Lake, and took out a warrant for the arrest of Mayor De Noyelles. Officer Polhemus, armed with this document, appeared in Haverstraw in the afternoon, and astonished everybody by arresting the Mayor, whom he took before Justice Smith. But as there was no evidence against the prisoner (the Mayor being entirely innocent, and, in fact until the warrant was served, knowing nothing of the joke), the complaint was at once dismissed. Mr. De Noyelles was not content to have the matter settled in such a quiet way, and yesterday gave due notice to the Justice and the Dutchman alike that he would have them both arrested and brought to Haverstraw to answer a charge of false arrest and defamation of character. The venerable Justice seemed much bewildered, and the Dutchman was very much frightened, and now says he “feels pad because he made law mit Johnnie.” —N.Y. Sun

[Image: Stereoscopic view of Rockland Lake by Isaac M. Van Wagner, c. 1880]
     Our friend, Van Wagner, has just received, from New York, the finest collection of stereoscopic views ever brought into the county. Among the collection we find a series of scenes on the Pacific Railroad, of great beauty, and conveying to the eye locations as graphically as if viewed from the spot. There are also numerous representations of the Big Trees, and the Yo Semite Valley, a grander place than which does not exist on earth. In addition to the above he has some pictures of celebrated artistes, which are well worth looking at.
     Van has taken pictures since he has been in Nyack, that the best known artists cannot surpass, and the best of it is, he is learning something new every day. Call and see his samples when in town.

July 22, 1921– 100 YEARS AGO
Rockland News

CHILDREN’S HOME UNCOVERS TRAGEDIES — Brings Little Folk from City Tenements — Enterprise One of the Blessings That Rests on Benevolence
     Most folk think of tragedy as something belonging to adult life, but the Christian Herald Children’s Home uncovers little tragedies of childhood every day as it goes about its business of finding needly little lads and lassies and fetching them from hot city homes to the cool, happy playgrounds at Mont-Lawn.
     Each season about 3,000 kiddies are given a vacation at Mont-Lawn and there is harder work each summer to take a little of the tragedy out of the lives of children of the tenements. Miss Gohring, the efficient superintendent, and a number of able assistants are the ones who provide happiness for the young folk.
     Mont-Lawn is one of the miracles of the blessing that rests on benevolence. Founded in 1894, it was the direct outcome of a work of charity which had been conducted by the readers of the Christian Herald during the preceding winter. It had been a season of widespread unemployment and the breadwinners, in thousands of families, being idle, there was much suffering in consequence. Readers of the Herald responded to an appeal and their gifts were the means of providing food and fuel for more than 1,200 families in the tenements of New York who, but for that timely help, would have been compelled to face very serious hardships indeed.
     This experience gave the late Dr. Lewis Klopach a personal knowledge of conditions in the homes of the poor. In the following spring he planned to take a number of children from these homes which had been helped during the winter, and to give them a summer outing. The Mont-Lawn property was rented at a merely nominal figure from its kind-hearted owner, the late Dr. Jewett, and the first season, a few hundred children were taken.
     The work proved to be so satisfactory that it was continued and enlarged with every new season. A few years after the opening, the place was purchased, and from that time on Mont-Lawn has continued to grow. The great dining hall of Fort Plenty, the beautiful Children’s Temple, the group of attractive dormitories, and other buildings needed for the work sprang up in succession in the years that followed.

July 21, 1971– 50 YEARS AGO
Rockland Independent/Leader


To the Editor:
     Here is some information on the cannon which was lost to vandalism from its historic position on Route 9W in Haverstraw.
     This information was taken from the Rockland Record, a journal put out the Rockland County Society and the pertinent article was written by Mrs. Grace. A. M. Sayres for the issue 1931-1932 Vol. 2
     One boulder with a bronze plaque was placed by the Society in November 1923 along the Long Clove road in Haverstraw which was part of the old King’s Highway of pioneer days.
     When that road was rerouted, the stone was sort of ‘left in the woods.’ So in 1930, the Society got active (this noted group of some of the best historians of Rockland County had placed other plaques on other historic spots about our county) in re-locating it, and Mr. Budke picked the spot on 9W. Since the first location had been quite near to the desolate, rocky shore where Andre debarked for his conference with Major General Benedict Arnold, the rock was sufficient.
     But up on 9W, a cannon was essential to point out [the] spot some distance below on the river bank. Mrs. Sayres writes that Mr. Budke (probably one of Rockland’ s finest historians) at that time knew that Mr. Fred. J. Peterson of Suffern had an antique gun and, after he talked to Mr. Peterson, he consented to part with his treasured cannon.
     Two other boulders were selected on the land of Mr. L. V. Becraft of Sloatsburg, transported to the Haverstraw site by the Keahon Co. of Pearl River and put into place.
     The mounting of the cannon was a difficult matter, but the artistic taste and inventive genius of Mr. Clifford Zabriskie solved the placement on castings for the gun carriage made by the Dexter Folder Co. of Pearl River.
     On September 21, 1930, just one hundred and fifty years after the meeting of the traitor and the spy in southern Haverstraw, the unveiling of the new monument took place on Route 9W.
     Perhaps all our citizens could be alerted to watch for junkyards and other places to be watchful in hopes that the cannon could be retrieved and replaced in its famous emplacement.
     —Daniel DeNoyelles, Sr., 1 Pine Drive, Thiells


Add a Comment:

Please signup or login to add a comment.